Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dear goddess above, please don't deliver a snow day for Monday!

I have plans for tomorrow. Presents to wrap. A meeting to attend if the roads are OK. So I am BUSY BUSY BUSY and my plans do not include entertaining and directing the activities of my four darlings. I cannot, will not, please don't make me endure a snow day!

They won't sleep in, ohhhhh no, that would be too easy. One generally awakens early, making enough noise to rouse a sleeping regiment, quickly alterting the dogs who feel ravenous and need their outdoor toilet. If our daughter awakes first, she begins her Yoko Ono imitation while sitting on her princess throne (the toilet) for 20 or more minutes. (She keeps her nighttime pullup on, even if it drips with rancid PM pee. If we don't catch her, she will pull said pullup back over her butt and sit in the pee stew until forced to remove the pullup.) If our second son awakes, we hear a loud stomping announcing his surrender of sleep and entrance into his special bathroom time. He turns hall and bedroom lights on. Our youngest awakes early, expecting fruit snacks or other sustenance before even leaving his bed. Our eldest, before he has his morning Concerta, is an all fire crabby bitch on wheels. (Once he has his medication he needs about 20 minutes for the druggy goodness to kick in and he acts like a responsible 11-year-old.) Last week he accidently set his clock to the wrong timezone and had the whole heard up at 5:45 am. Fun fun, all around!

Once awake and fed, these kids get bored. Really really bored when they are not in school. They ADHD, ADD, and naughty me right up until they've reached my last nerve. They want to watch TV, then fight over who sits where and what is watched. They say they are bored, I give them stuff to do, which lasts maybe 5 minutes, until once again they are BORED. The begin spinning and dancing to any music or musical toy they hear. They break stuff. On accident. Every day. While I yell, and threaten, and deliver punishments with the grace and dignity of an insane banshee.

If I am lucky, they will go outside for play. But goddess help us when they return, cold and hungry. Even 10 minutes after lunch they will want hot chocolate. Hot cookies. All the things the TV commercials promise but life never really delivers. Neither do I.

I will light a candle to the weather gods and goddesses. I will promise never to complain about a long winter, or short summer, or crappy fall and spring. I will love, honor and obey the weather. Just please, please, please don't give me a snow day tomorrow.

No comments: