Sunday, December 7, 2008

When Illness Follows A tiring Routine

Parents aren't supposed to get sick at the same time. Tag team parenting is the best approach, where one is strong should the other be weak. But if both are weak, by unexpected illness, the kind of which places one in the bathroom for 10-20 visits a day. The kind which helps you lose 10 pounds by purging with no binge.

Coming at the two-year anniversary of the "new kids" moving in, our family's illnesses should expected. Although while I was in pain with rising fever and wish for some form of oblivion the thought did not readily come. In our family, significant anniversaries bring significant illness. So January/February illness is next. Then late spring. Late summer. Finally, late November and early December. Our children have experienced terrible loss during these times (before meeting us). During each of these yearly milestones, one child gets sick. Then passes it on to another child or parent, until we all share the fun. I hate it.

Maybe part of me wants the anniversary of our forever family's move-in to be joyous. Look at what joy we find in December! The anniversary of merging our families, then Christmas. But children have "cell memory", just like adults do. The merging of families was difficult, causing great strain between parents, the "oldest" child, and our three new kids. Maybe I just feel we've had enough already. I am doing the best I can, but my best cannot combat sneaky little germs and viruses which seem to know when and whom to attack.

I am exhausted, because whether or not illness plagues our home, chores must be done. So I've tried to clean counters, do dishes, put away projects. Yes, I am guilty of not insisting more is taken on by our children. Sure. But how to proceed so in future the laundry doesn't have to pile up, the counters remain cluttered, the rooms messier, the groceries un-bought..... I don't have the energy to address.

Finally, the little part of me that wants to feel sorry for myself thinks I brought the illness upon myself. I'd been to confident in my ability to sterilize surfaces. Too happy that I'd accomplished hanging outside christmas lights and redoing old flower arrangements into new outdoors cheer.
Too unaware that life happens while I am busy making plans.

Off to bed. As Scarlett O'Hara said "Tomorrow is another day!" Scarlett O'Hara sucks.

No comments: