Friday, October 1, 2010

ADHD and Me Tee Hee!

My partner has been bugging me for years about my inattentiveness, messy habits, lateness, etc. (The etc. is too long and too tempting for future blogging to reveal here.) I finally saw a shrink for med check this year which was a true sign of my ability to listen and respond appropriately to relationship feedback. (See? I do listen......... huh??)

I contacted my clinic and was put on a waiting list for a shrink. Evidently, because I was not feeling the desire to off myself or others, my mental health needs could wait. I met with my shrink a couple months ago and WE decided an ADHD "test" was in order.

With no concerns on my part about the testing, I signed up with Dr. ADHD. With four kids affected, we've become well-versed in psych meds including those which treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I needed to be honest about symptoms even though I knew how to "exaggerate" severity and frequency. (Note, "exaggerate" is a nice way of saying "lie.")

What did I learn from the testing?
  1. Testing can mean you sit in a chair and answer questions. No paper required!
  2. Don't refer to the tester as Dr. ADHD. Some people want their patients to see beyond catch phrase specialties involving multiple letters packed together.
  3. I have ADHD. Hyperactivity systems include: little(REAL) songs playing in my head while I am listening to others, inability to sit still for long periods without doing something productive, ability to have audio books playing for most my waking hours.
  4. Some people are REALLY tall! (Combine that with thin, male, bearded. Put me next to the person and the song "One of These Things are not Like the Other" will immediately replace whatever is going on in my busy head.)
I started on Concerta last week, understanding the risks but hoping my inattentiveness would be addressed successfully. The first few days I felt hyper-focused and productive. Then nothing. We upped the dose to 54 mg.

Checking blood pressure is a must for those on ADHD meds. Tuesday I checked mine in a public place (142 over 110) and was alarmed at the numbers. Thursday I checked again at a local Cub and saw a new record (150 over 101). Not good. Definitely NOT GOOD. The numbers indicate hypertension and serious heart risk.

So off goes the meds. On goes a call to the doctor to tell her what's up. I am willing to try another couple options, but if blood pressure is still an issue, ADHD meds are not for me.

I wanted one medication to work. My addictive personality demands a quick fix. My recovery personality understands I can't always get what I want when I want it.

Now I am singing "You can't always get what you want" with a chorus of "I'm off to see the shrinky, the wonderful shrinky of meds" as I dial the phone. Oh doctor! Doooooccccctor!

1 comment:

Snowflowers Mum said...

dude...I have been avoiding the ADD test for the last couple of years because I know I cant afford the co-pay on the meds.