Saturday, October 30, 2010

How much does fun cost?


Yesterday my youngest had two parties at Chuck E Cheese. The two middle kids were invited for the first party and only the youngest for the second. This translates into 2-4 pm party with the Chuckster, and 6-8 party again. So we played some between the parties, killed an hour and 1/2 and were back at it.

Now, I have nothing against kids parties, especially when they involve someone else cleaning up afterward. And I am not against the idea of commercialized fun, because it is a safe place to bring kids given the one entrance/exit and the hand stamp.

What I can't stand is the mouse. Whoever thought this rat-like creature made a good mascot for an entertainment chain must have not worn glasses the day they approved the concept. The almost-crossed eyes, the gray and pink contrast. ***shiver****

The second party featured the Cheese-ster walking around with an unfortunate youth who had to rally kids to walk with Chuckie throughout the store. I couldn't find my daughter when we were about to leave only to see her holding IT'S hand. After the Pied Piper of Cheese made it to the front, another worker joined this Rat-thing for a hip-hop dance. My thoughts of pity for the poor fool trapped in the costume diminished a bit when I saw the Mouse stumble and obviously attempt to fake their way through the dance. After getting 20-some kids to jive, they rewarded the bunch by throwing handfuls of used tickets to the crowd. The manage reminded everyone NOT to shove and push or FIGHT over the tickets. My daughter ended up with a small handful and an exercise in the law of supply and demand.

Overall, I spent $60 in tokens (it was payday!) and 4+ hours at the place. I was able to prove once again my skills at skeeball and Dino-dash. The kids were tired and cranky but slept in this morning.

So despite my loathing of the Mouse, a good time was had by all. Worth the $60? I wasn't paying for the parties so I guess we got a bargain!

No comments: