Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Its a sickness, my friend

Ever hear the one about the mid-lifer who figured out her body just couldn't do what her body did 25 years ago? Well, she was right. No joke here, just reflecting my own musings.

I was sick for two days last week over MEA weekend. I hate when my kids are off school. OK, maybe HATE is too strong. But how can I capture the set-up and discouragement involved in planning a couple days activities only to have them go to hell? I was sick Thursday with a roaring headache and then puking Friday. Sleeping until my back hurt from sleeping.

I'd planned swimming. Pumpkin carving. Halloween costume shopping. I'd planned movies and movement to keep us existing through the day. But no, my body had other ideas. Like putting me flat on my back.

My partner took off work because my kids can't be left without supervision. Especially the youngest, who is constant movement from wake-up to bed-time. She did OK, but by Sunday was doing the usual chant of "I can't wait to leave this house for work on Monday." Who would have thought the best part of someone's life was to leave the house for work?

Granted, I like feeling well and doing what needs to be done. I LOVE having the kids out of the house and tucked safely at school for the day. Having my partner gone is good too, because its just me and the animals and they don't ask for much other than an open door now and then and a bowl of food.

So a week later and I am finally back 100%. No flu. No blood pressure problems. But recalling how much I used to be able to bounce back into health is too depressing. So I will just accept that I am middle age and shut down for now.

No comments: